Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Are you thinking about joining the C.A.R., but you have some questions? Hopefully these FAQs will help!

I don't live in the Santa Maria area. Can I still join your group?

Yes, you can. Although the Stephen Eastin Society serves the northern Santa Barbara County/San Luis Obispo County area, we have members who live as far away as Bakersfield, Fresno, and Ventura. It is a better idea, however, for you to join a group near where you live, if one exists. For a listing of California societies, please click here. For a list of societies in other states, please click here.

If you live in an area of California where no C.A.R. society currently exists, and you are interesed in organizing a group, please contact the Senior State President.

How old do I have to be to join?

The C.A.R. accepts members from birth up to age 22. Younger members under age 10 are referred to as "Pee Wee Patriots," and special activities are often provided for them. Pee Wee Patriots have the same rights and responsibilities as older C.A.R. members, and can even hold office when they are ready.

My mom (grandma, aunt, etc.) is/was a member of the DAR. Does this help me join?

Yes, it does! Joining is EASY if you have a family member who is (or was) a DAR, SAR, or S.R. member. You will need copies of your birth certificate, and copies of the birth, death, and marriage certificates linking you to the DAR, SAR, or S.R. member. If your family member was in the SAR or S.R., you will also need to provide a copy of that member’s application papers. If your family member was a DAR member, you only need to provide her member number; a copy of the application is not required.

If you do not have a family member in any of those groups, you will need to provide all of the supporting documents linking back to your Revolutionary War ancestor. But don’t worry—help is available, if you need it!

For more information about joining the C.A.R., please visit our Membership page.

How much does it cost to join?

You can join the C.A.R. for just $38.00 ($20.00 national dues + $3.00 state dues + $15.00 application fee). If siblings join at the same time using the same lineage, the application fee is $15.00 for the first child, and only $10.00 for each additional child.

I'm already 18 years old. Should I join the DAR/SAR/S.R. instead of the C.A.R.?

If you are 21 years of age or less, you should join the C.A.R. first. Between the ages of 18 and 22, a C.A.R. member in good standing is eligible to hold "dual membership" with C.A.R. and DAR or SAR/S.R. This means that you can be a member of both groups at the same time! Plus, with a certificate of good standing, a C.A.R. member will not have to pay an application fee to join the DAR or SAR. This can be a substantial financial savings!

When I turn 22, does my membership automatically transfer to the DAR/SAR/S.R.?

No, it does not. You will need to request a Certificate of Good Standing from the National Society before your 22nd birthday and fill out a membership application for whichever group you plan to join. Between the ages of 18 and 22, you are eligible to hold dual membership with the C.A.R. and DAR or SAR/S.R., as mentioned above.